Authorities have released images of a “person of interest” they believe may be connectedNov. 11.
The fire completely destroyed an eight-acre storage yard filled with lumber, construction materials and used vehicles as it burned under a very busy road that hundreds of thousands of people use to travel to and from downtown Los Angeles.
On Saturday, CalFire officials released a pair of images showing the unidentified man they were searching for.
They described the suspect as a 30-year-old man, about 6 feet tall and weighing between 170 and 190 pounds. He has black hair.
In the pictures, the man is seen wearing blue shorts, a black jacket, a black bag and a green scarf. He also had a knee brace on his right leg.
Officials also said that “burns were visible on his left leg.”
On Monday, California Gov. Gavin Newsom and Mayor Karen Bass, along with several city officials, said at a press conference that the fire may have started.
In the days since the fire, it has burned more than 100 freeway columns and forced around-the-clock compensation from Caltrans and construction crews.Officials urge commuters to consider public transport to avoid congestion altogether.
Despite the ongoing construction and the prediction that the freeway won’t reopen until early December, surveyors determined the deck was more solid than they previously thought. Therefore, all paths are expected to existTuesday.
Mayor Bass said no injuries were reported in the fire, but at least 16 homeless people were taken to shelters there.
The arson investigation is ongoing and no arrests have been made. Anyone who recognizes the man in the above photos is asked to call Cal Fire’s Erison hotline at 1-800-468-4408.