Food fishery dates announced for Newfoundland and Labrador

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Department of Fisheries and Oceans says groundfish fishery to open on July 23

The Newfoundland and Labrador summer food fishery will this year open on July 23 and run until August 14.

The fall fishery will run for a much shorter period from September 24 to October 2.

The recreational groundfish fishery will occur in all NAFO areas around Newfoundland and Labrador, which includes 2GH, 2J3KL, 3Ps, 3Pn and 4R.

Two exceptions are the Eastport and Gilbert Bay Marine Protected Areas (MPA) where recreational groundfish fishing will not be permitted.

Recreational fishers are limited to five groundfish per day (including cod). However, the maximum boat limit when three or more people are fishing is 15 groundfish. This includes tour boats.

The recreational fishery is open to both residents and non-residents and there is no requirement for licences or tags.

Retention of Atlantic halibut and Spotted and Northern wolffish is prohibited. Sculpins and cunners may be released. All other groundfish caught must be retained. High-grading of groundfish is not permitted.

All fish caught must be retained in an identifiable state. Fish may be bled, gutted, and split while at sea, but further processing such as filleting and skinning at sea is not permitted.

Only angling gear and handlines with a maximum of three hooks are permitted. Handlines include artificial lures, baited hooks and feathered hooks. Artificial lures with treble hooks weighing less than five ounces or 142 grams are acceptable. Traditional jiggers are not permitted unless they are modified and have only one single hook.

There are provisions in this year's recreational fishery that allow a disabled person to designate a person to catch their daily limit of groundfish. Information is available at DFO licencing centres.

Fishery officers will monitor this fishery closely, both at sea and at dockside, to ensure regulations are followed. Complaints will be investigated and charges laid where appropriate.

The sale of groundfish caught in the recreational fishery is strictly prohibited.

Commercial fishing vessels are not permitted to participate in recreational fishing activity on any trip where there is any commercial fishing activity.

For safety reasons, fishing is only permitted from one hour before sunrise until one hour after sunset. The public is reminded to follow safe boating practices and be aware of local weather and sea conditions before leaving port during the upcoming fishing season.

Organizations: Department of Fisheries and Oceans

Geographic location: Newfoundland and Labrador, Eastport

• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

• Arthur Ford
    June 26, 2013 - 11:25

This Harper P.C. government will be history, also Dunderelle will follow, It is a god given right for newfoundlanders and labradorians to catch a fish for their table and it should be open for a longer period of time, giving everyone the oppuritiny , Some person or group will soon chanallage our rights in the sumperme courts concerning this very important isuue. The time has come for a change of government, federally and provincial.

• gene
    August 26, 2012 - 18:20

i think we should have it open all year like the rest of maritime canada,,but you know us nl folk never get anything,,,whats a few weeks,,lot of us dont even to get out then because of work and stuff,,really sucks i tell you that,we should go and protest it until they give in,, even a few months out of the year wont be so bad,,

• partridge berry
    May 17, 2012 - 19:38

My husband works on a turn around of 5 weeks on and 2 weeks off.He will be gone for both dates......there should be accomadations made for the working man. I would like some fish in my fridge as well as everyone else.

• Mike Altini
    April 13, 2012 - 10:35

For the past 5 years, we have been coming to Newfoundland for vacation. We go for the recreational fishing. We also spend lots of money hiring people to take us out. I can not believe that the food fishery season is so short. I could go to Nova Scotia and have no time limit. I booked my trip arriving on August 16th. So this means I miss it by a couple of days. Is there any extensions a guide could get or do I have to cancel the whole trip and go to another province? One pissed off tourist!

• leo carns
    October 03, 2011 - 18:24

we only want the same as other atlantic provinces , whay are we targeted as second class people?????????

• Eric Davis
    September 09, 2011 - 08:45

It is my belief that we should be the same as the rest of Atlantic Canada and not second rate citizens. They the DFO treat Newfoundlanders as if we are all poachers and crooks. Nova Scotian and New Brunswick can fish all summer and into October any Day. This gives them more time and less danger, but that is because they would not abuse the system while they feel we would not be able to do that. Shame on the DFO and the federal Government for feeling this way about a small part of their people. As well shame on our political provencial people for not speaking out for the Newfoundland people. I am not a poacher or dishonest and do not like being treated as one, and the majority of Newfoundlanders fit in this category.

• howard west
    September 07, 2011 - 21:05

I agree with the comments made above.Makes a lot of sense,tags should be issued for amount of allowable fish during the food fishery.If a person is lucky enough to catch his or her quota for the allowed time and wish to do so on a good day ( then so be it) and no more fishing after their tags are used !!Then this would be fair to everyone involved.There is a clause which states that a person can apply to DFO to catch a quota for a disabled person,what about our senior citizens who would love to go fishing and aren't able,would they be included ?Then again we have widows of fishermen and others,how will they get a quota ?A friend of mine passed away a few months ago at 76 yrs of age would it be possible to obtain permission to catch a quota for his widow or do i have to share my quota with her.(Don't mind sharing)Just trying to be fair to everyone !!! Thanks. Hope somebody can come up with a solution.But don't hold your breath waiting for our politicians to figure it out.Maybe it should be left up to the experienced fishermen( MUCH SMARTER THAN THE GOVT.BOYS)Concerned fish lover.

• Laurence Flynn
    August 14, 2011 - 08:01

First time taking part in the food fishery. It is open for 23 days x 5 fish per day = 115 fish. Some days I got my 5 fish some days got nothing. One day in particular with 3 of us in the boat every time you dropped your hook there was a fish on . Point could have gotten all my fish in one trip. Bad weather price of gas add to how many trips some people make it does get expensive. I feel a tag system would work better and convenience a lot more people.

• Sheldon Budgell
      August 27, 2011 - 10:57

My comment is that I think that the food fishery Is not set up for a man that does shift work during the last food fishery I was working 18 days of the fishery and when I did get home it was blowing to hard to participate in the fishery. The fall fishery will be the same for me and thousands of other people because I will only be home for two days to fish. My point is that there should be another way of doing the fishery because it puts lives at risk. Lots of people will take a risk in windy conditions to get there fish because of the 2or3days we get to get our winter fish. In saying this I hope more people will make more comments to change this system to to better our chances of having our recreational fishery in a safe and smart manner.

• michael breen
    August 12, 2011 - 11:34

i think it is a joke if they want to make money of non residents they should . but where i am from my father who has cancer looks forward to this time of year it is like a therapy for him. but the price of gas etc is so expensive the five fish limit is a joke. you might get lucky and find a good spot one time and go back there the next day and there would be nothing. i think because of this he should be able to catch the fish when he can , he still uses this beautiful fish as part of his food consumption throughout the year.all i could say is we have lived in newfoundland long enough that the amount of people that go out on the water in my home town who can afford it , should be able to catch more than five fish to make it worthwhile.

• norman wheaton
      September 30, 2011 - 22:22

Tommorow is oct 1st never got a chance to get out to get my fish blowing too hard every day, here on the northeast coast it should be extended for at least another couple weeks I can,t see why were not the same as new brunswick & nova scotia